Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Through the looking glass

Wow. I am in freaking Afffffrrrriiiicaaaa! The journey was horrible, but uneventful. Arriving in Accra was very emotional, considering all that has gone into the planning and execution of this journey. I was starting to curse my travel advisors when my suitcase that I checked through was among the last to be unloaded. Nonetheless the advice was good, and thank you! Another good sign was someone tried to cut in front of me at customs, and they were rebuffed by security. I didn't want to make a scene, but the security guy waved me in like a good third base coach. I'm getting the vibe that politeness pays here, which bodes well. I was then waved through customs without a word. Other than a look at my documentation, there was nothing. My bags were not even given a cursory inspection, and never left my shoulder, not that I have anything to hide. My hotel driver was awaiting me as promised.

As we left the terminal, I felt like I had just won a Juno, or I was walking the red carpet at TIFF. There was a huge crowd of people standing behind barricades. I guess no one is allowed in the terminal. It would've made a great picture, but pics at government facilities are strictly prohibited. The drive to the hotel was everything you can imagine about Africa. Tons of people on the streets, vendors hustling food at intersections, tiny market stalls open for business and a sea of humanity. Its hot, humid and slightly stinky. In short, its everything I imagined. What I didn't imagine is that I would have women all over me. Apparently, I'm quite a bit hotter in Accra than Toronto. Or maybe its cos people are desperately poor here and I'm not. Ya think? More on that in my next post.

Also, I am watching the Canucks online w/ wireless in my hotel room! Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too!