Friday, March 20, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to Ghana

Its funny what can happen when a butterfly flaps its wings. AFTER I booked this trip something wonderful and accidental enveloped me.

In researching this trip I came upon a website, really just a forum, but I was fascinated by the content. I had stumbled upon a tiny corner of the internet where real people from Ghana were conversing. Something struck me about the general ability of the people who posted to disagree agreeably, no matter what the subject.

I felt that I had stumbled upon a real community. Almost every poster is connected to Ghana, though many are expats. I was fascinated by the detail provided, like only a true local would know.

All of this led me start posting, knowing that there was a font of intimate knowledge that I could tap. I registered, and asked a couple of touristy questions and was rewarded with some great advice.

Then I thought about giving a little back. Some small meaningless gesture to appease the guilt of my privilege in the face of global poverty. I was going to donate my laptop to a school, and fill it with educational programs. Suffice to say, my small idea was picked up by these wonderful people and we are now working on building a school kitchen for a poor community, so that the children may get a lunch fed to them at school through a government program.

You can follow the ongoing saga below. I am truly amazed by what my small idea has led to, and the generosity of spirit by all the people involved. Would love to post a link, but this corner of the blogsphere won't allow it. I really should have built a website instead of a blog. Oh well.

Go to ghanacommunity.com Click general discussion. Read the posts at the top of the page regarding Omenako School Project. There are some pictures on page 4 of the "Trying to help" forum. Will try and repost pics in a better location soon, but I need permission.

Let me be clear, that I am just an accidental tourist in this morality play. I may have started something, but I had no idea that it would turn into this. It is a few angels in Ghana who are doing the hard work, but I am blown away by the generosity of all involved. I plan to get to Suhum and visit the school and will post on the video map when I get there. Some projects are run by NGO's, but this is an NPO. Networking People Organisation. NPO's have no staff, no budget and no tax writeoff. All money goes to recipients, and the only acknowledgement is you get to go to sleep knowing that you're trying to make a difference.