Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ground Control to Major Tom

So this is it. I am really doing this. No longer is this journey an intellectual concept, it is becoming a reality. I have spent the better part of the last ten days, building ledges, crawling out on them, and then talking myself down. How productive! I have wasted a great deal of time and energy listening to my baser instincts and crumbling under the daunting task of trying to control the unknown. After one panic attack driven email, my travel guru called. Miss Jocund gave me some sage advice, in addition, a few calming words from a worldwise bartender and I am feeling much better. Make no mistake though, I feel like I am jumping out of an airplane, the only question is whether I am going to piss myself on the way down. I say no to soiled underwear! Time to cowboy up, cos the landing is going to be what it is going to be. The only control I have is whether or not a urine stain is involved, speaking metaphorically. I will see you all on the other side, and thanks for coming along on this journey with me. Sharing this will ease my loneliness in difficult times, and magnify my delight in good times. This journey will be pools of sorrow and waves of joy, and I am blessed to have people sharing this ride with me. I am coming to acceptance of the consequences of my own unexpected choices. The transition from concept to reality has proven quite daunting, but there is no turning back now. I am going to trust my instincts and the tremendous amount of research I have done. So pull up a keyboard and follow me, I don't know what the road ahead is, but I am confident that I will be able to navigate it. My next post will be from Accra on Tues or Weds. And Cayelle, thanks for the lift!