Monday, April 20, 2009

Ride to Mole National Park

Mole National Park

Worst. Busride. Ever. Nonetheless, it was all worth it. Am travelling with Toufic, who is from nearby Larabanga, and thank god, cos there is no way in hell I would have gotten on that bus without him. The adequate state owned transit does not travel here which meant private transit and a visit to the Tamale tro tro station in searing heat that would make lead curdle. Just getting to the bus, yet alone on it was a an epic quest. While waiting ,I was witness to Tro Tro cuisine being prepared in front of me, and I'm pretty sure the health board does not pass by too often. One lady who was making and selling fufu in light soup plunked herself down beside me and graciously offered to share. I respectfully declined. When the bus arrived and we jostled our way over to where it was waiting, I was beginning to feel like I was at a Who concert gone wrong. We had to wait outside the bus to ensure that my luggage was stored. Living in Africa is like always being in a really hot and loud bar. Anyway, we finally board the bus. After sitting and roasting for about 25 minutes the bus finally rolls. About ten feet. People are standing in the aisles, it is not physically possible to put another soul on this bus. It seems a fare dispute has erupted, and we are delayed another twenty minutes while things are sorted. I am really starting to lose it. Crammed in the heat and the noise I seriously consider bailing. Problem is that I could not get out even if I wanted to. Finally the bus moves onto the road. And pulls over. At this point, the only thing for it is to retreat within, take a few deep breaths and and try not to completely flip out. The four hour ride was like bing in a heated cement mixer while someone beats your lower back with a lead pipe. Awful, but totally worth it at the end of the day.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com