Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day One

Seriously, this is very intimidating. I ventured out for a bit today, needing to exchange some money, get some shades and a razor. My hotel is on the Ring Road, the major route around the city and it is bustling to say the least. Three lanes on each side, teeming with traffic. The street lights are very far apart and the "sidewalks" are bordered by open sewers. Trying to cross the street is risky at best, and the streetlights are so far apart that you may have to walk half a mile or so before finding a safe crossing. Needless to say, many choose to dodge the traffic rather than walk to the nearest streetlight. I had a notion to try this, but my caution had led me to bear right and the "sidewalk" was elevated about four feet above traffic at the point where I noticed a bank across the street where I could exchange my money. I saw some people jumping down to cross, and considered it myself, but the clincher was that I would also have to clear the open sewer below. Thanks but no thanks, I'll walk to the corner.

During my walk I came upon a crowd of people gathered. Curious, I joined the crowd to see what the fuss was. At the center of the crowd was a guy doing faith healing, casting out evil demons. There were two men laying in the dirt, and I assumed that they had been healed or were in some sort of religious based trance. Another man, was receiving the treatment in the full on hands on head, "I cast the devil out!" kinda thing. I don't know if this was a Christian thing or some tribal thing, but it was definitely in the in the Ernst Angley tradition. Walked back to the hotel around noon and decided a nap would be good before heading back out. Woke up 7 hours later. Guess I'm still a bit tired from the journey. Oh well,I'm rested and ready to go for day 2.